The Jacques Pépin Foundation
The JPF supports community kitchens that offer free life skills and culinary training to adults with high barriers to employment, including previous incarceration, homelessness, substance abuse issues, low skill and education attainment and lack of work history.
Join the JPF family as a Member to support our educational programs and grants for your neighbors in need. As a member, you will gain access to unparalleled content, including our Webby Award finalist video recipe book, featuring recipes and video instruction from the most renowned chefs. Join here.
The Jacques Pépin Foundation promotes Jacques’ generosity and passion for cooking by supporting individuals that seek, and organizations that create pathways to success through culinary professionalism, skills and technique.
The Power of Culinary Education
We believe that culinary education and the food service industry can provide opportunities and hope for individuals who feel excluded from the workforce. With commitment and a relatively small amount of training, culinary training can provide confidence, pathways to better health, employment and independence.
As the most trusted name in culinary education, we believe the Jacques Pépin Foundation is uniquely qualified to advance culinary training for our neediest, willing citizens.
What We See
- Millions of people are unemployed with no specific skills for entering the workforce
- There is a desperate shortage of workers in the food service industry
- Education beyond high school takes many forms. Skills and technique training in the culinary arts provides access to jobs
- Culinary skills training improves not only employability, but self-reliance, confidence and health
What We Do
- The JPF is committed to supporting the teaching of culinary skills for employment
- We work to improve and expand culinary training through community-based organizations
- We provide curricular materials such as cookbooks and technique videos from the Pépin library
- We assist in fund-raising efforts to increase visibility and sustainability of community kitchens
- We broker relationships between equipment manufacturers and education providers
- We help organizations join networks such as Catalyst Kitchens to share experiences and best practices
- We offer grants in support of Community Based Culinary Training Programs
Our programs support existing community kitchens with grants and donations, educational tools, equipment and recognition.
Jacques has dedicated the majority of his career to teaching technique. His own journey began as a child in his mother's restaurant in Lyon and led him to Paris and the service of French Presidents, then to New York and Le Pavillon. His talent, energy and charm ingratiated him with America's most influential foodies: James Beard, Helen McCully, Craig Claiborne and Julia Child.